Sharon Evans

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

Throughout this work I have employed the technique of chiaroscuro – the treatment of light and shade – to explore the concepts of connection and human contact. Through curiosity, I seek to capture moments in time that produce an intimate encounter between strangers – leaving the artist in darkness and the stranger in the light. The two never meet. There is only a sense of the other’s presence. I first ink up a plate to complete blackness, then scrape or wipe back the ink to create sections of light. This method, to me, replicates a sensation of scraping back the unknown or darkness to reveal light.

Sharon Evans, GVCA Grad Show, 2022. Documentation by SLACK.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.