VCA ART 2022

Pippa Lukaitis

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Photography)

My practise is focused on collecting and contemporary methods of photography and archival materials. I formulate a sense of self based on these processes, constructing faceless self portraits focusing on my personal Lithuanian cultural identity, and families migration history. My practise and techniques utilise apparatuses such as large format photography, darkroom printing, and the method of rephotographing archives which allows for preservation of memory and history. The archive functions as a material for me to enquire into and research my families life in Lithuania, and in turn attempts to reaffirm and reconnect to my own Lithuanian identity. My current work creates representation of my searching for a sense of connection to my Lithuanian background and attempts to piece together a timeline of my families migration from Lithuania to Australia.

Pippa Lukaitis, From Lithuania, With Love (Pt. 3) 2022, Framed C-Type print, 90 x 76 cm. Documentation by Lucy Foster.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content