VCA ART 2022

Louisa Bufardeci

PhD

My project sought to understand the complex relationship between contemporary art, race and privilege that was playing out in my practice. I found that like a sailboat heading into the wind, I needed to tack. So I turned my practice 45 degrees and found myself propelled by a wealth of instruction from First Nations and feminist philosophies. These zig-zag manoeuvres were mirrored in the art practice of tacking, a game of string figures I play with strangers in public spaces, in which I use one of my hands and they use one of theirs. By engaging with others and by putting relation at the centre of my practice, I found a way of making art that has a different effect. I called it a ‘tacktical methodology’.

Louisa Bufardeci, tacking, string, relation, 2020. Documentation by Dan St Clair.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content