VCA ART 2022

Kia Zand

Master of Contemporary Art

Observatory 2022 is an installation comprising a series of sculptures carved out of bluestone. The hard stones are collected from urbanised Melbourne, symbolising the city’s colonial past and the current resistance to change. The materiality of the forms mediates a space between home as Australia and Homeland as Iran, a country amid decolonisation. The theme of Homeland is central to my practice, burdened with the current socio-political climate. The issues surrounding Home and Homeland continue to be fuel for my expression. In Observatory, the viewer is invited to gaze through holes penetrating the rock formations. Piercing through the stubborn colonial character is an act of healing and rebellion as an ongoing protest, creating a path between Home and Homeland.

During the Iranian revolution of 2022, drumming has been my daily routine to create a temporary escape from the news. Learning to play the drum provides a space where I can temporarily disconnect and meditate. Every beat honours the Iranian women leading the revolution.

Kia Zand, Observatory, VCA Art Grad Show install 2022. Documentation by Lucy Foster.
Kia Zand, Observatory, VCA Art Grad Show install 2022.
Kia Zand, Observatory (detail), VCA Art Grad Show install 2022. Documentation by Lucy Foster.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content