VCA ART 2022

Benita Beveridge

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Photography)

Content Warning: Some of Benita Beveridge's work may exhibit imagery on sensitive topics

My artwork explores abstract methods of introspection that fosters the importance of one enabling connection to the enigmatic parts of self. My work comes from a place of addled catharsis and vulnerability to communicate raw emotions or share a distinct experience. My artworks are mostly autobiographical. I commonly work with 35mm film, automatic-drawing and recycled materials. I collect random objects to reinvent them, photograph moments to memorialise their beauty and draw to map out unresolved emotions. The themes that I typically ruminate on are religious discourse, personal relationships, and my experience with mental health. My art primarily serves as a vehicle for self-exploration, I intend for it to provoke reflective discussion through the concepts I explore and present.

Benita Beveridge, Strip Tape, recycled textiles and duct tape, 2022.
Benita Beveridge, Strip Tape, digital image, 2022.
Benita Beveridge, mẹ khỏe không, flatbed scan, 2021.
Benita Beveridge, Glory to our Father, flatbed scan, 2021.
Benita Beveridge, Know Thyself, Black and White, 35mm film scan, 2022.
Benita Beveridge, Till Death, blood soaked tissues on paper scan, 2021.
Benita Beveridge, Shoulda-Woulda-... , acrylic painted cardboard and upcycled yoga mat on astro-turf, 2022.
Public welcomed to lie down on yoga mat for a moment of self-reflection.
Benita Beveridge, Death Fornicates, 2019.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content