Django Nicol

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Photography)

The atelier is a humble space despite its grandiose output — the pride is within the expert craftsmanship. Coming from a line of tailors and seamstresses, I find the simple act of constructing in all of its intricate detailed glory the tipping point of my work. When it came to the creation of this work, this action become the conceptual underpinning — an ode to. Luscious fabrics, remnants of aphrodisiacs and subtle references to the act of love (bridal which couture runways always finish with) are all deconstructed in their presentation to showcase a cyclical love affair with the act of making. In terms of continual practice, fashion and art operate on very separate languages but my intention is to celebrate both subjects in unison with the most attentive and romantic sensitivities.

Django Nicol, Amore mio: I Pour and I Soak my devotion to your creation, installation view, 2022. Documentation by Christo Crocker
Django Nicol, Amore mio: I Pour and I Soak my devotion to your creation, silk dupion, cotton, mesh netting, canvas, wool, oyster shell, 2022.
Django Nicol, Amore mio: I Pour and I Soak my devotion to your creation, vintage photo frame, archival silver gelatin prints, 2022
Django Nicol, Amore mio: I Pour and I Soak my devotion to your creation, silk dupion, silk taffeta, cotton, mesh netting, crinoline, canvas, recycled lycra, wool, oyster shell, tailor's chalk, 2022.
Django Nicol, Amore mio: I Pour and I Soak my devotion to your creation, silk taffeta, sewing pins, 2022.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.