Jen Hubert-Beresford

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

I am a ‘returning artist’ and ‘recovering corporate warrior’, resurrecting my art practice after a life-detour, living and working across the globe. My practice has evolved from conceptual painting to expanded sculpture using found objects and ephemera that bear traces of my own experiences, augmented with text, photography, video and audio. I juxtapose trauma and nostalgia to convey personal stories of struggle and survival.

My curiosity and my history draw me to the world of outsiders and the margins of polite society; to the scarred and the survivors. As Louise Bourgeois says, ‘Art is not about art. Art is about life.’

In The Body Remembers, 2022, I use found objects – centred on a cast iron child’s bed, circa-1910 – to contrast the state of childhood innocence with the sensation of exploitation and trauma, as relayed through unreliable memories. Bed is where we sleep, dream, fear, and fever; where we experience intimacy, trauma, narcosis, illness, recovery, decline and death. Where the body remembers what the brain tries to forget.

Jen Hubert-Beresford, The Body Remembers, found objects (cast iron circa 1910 bed, carpet, bottles)+ plant matter + mosquito net + lights, text on A3 cartridge paper, 2022. Documentation by Christo Crocker.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.