Rebecca George

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

The R>1 series was made in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. The reproductive rate of a virus follows an exponential growth pattern. This pattern is found in nature in phenomena such as coral growth, a lettuce leaf or mouse plagues. Using art to convey scientific or mathematical concepts brings numbers to life visually.

The therapy of making and craft is important to me. I’ve been crocheting since I was six years old, and I experiment with crochet as sculpture and in printmaking. Using found objects and recycled or recyclable materials enables me to experiment freely.

Having a background in engineering and being process driven, I find patterns in maths and science, and use crochet stitches and art as ways to communicate these connections and ideas.

Rebecca George, Growth, crocheted recycled copper electrical wire, copper rod, 2022.
Rebecca George, Cracks Under Pressure, Monoprint, 2022. Documentation by Kenneth Suico.
Rebecca George, R=7 Delta, crocheted recycled electrical copper wire, stainless steel cable, 2021.
Rebecca George, Treble Stitch, monoprint, 2022.
Rebecca George, Growth, crocheted recycled electrical copper wire, copper rod, 2022. Documentation by Lucy Foster.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.