Rachel Wu

Graduate Certificate of Visual Art

Quantum superposition. Particles in all possible states at once. Until it is observed – decoherence. What are the effects of presence? How can we imagine a world beyond our influence?
Inspired by a vast array of subject matter – from complex scientific paradoxes to music, pop culture, social science and technological advancements – I seek to reveal how the human experience is reflected and exposed in infinite ways. Through the lens of science, technology and philosophy, I explore the tension, humour and compelling forces that exist all around us.
The outcome of these explorations manifests in many forms and mediums – spanning painting, sculpture and digital works. My curiosity, coupled with a passion for learning and experimentation with new materials, forms a central part of my practice and is integral to all my work.

Rachel Wu, Observation, acrylic, micro-controller, ultrasonic sensor, 2022.
Rachel Wu, Observation - detail (video), acrylic, micro-controller, ultrasonic sensor, 2022.
Rachel Wu, HydroWaves, mixed media, 2022. Documentation by Kenneth Suico.
Rachel Wu, HydroWaves - detail, mixed media, 2022.
Rachel Wu, HydroWaves - 400 (visual detail), mixed media, 2022.
0:00 0:00
Rachel Wu, HydroWaves - 400 (audio detail), mixed media, 2022.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.