Costa Virtanen

Honours

Working across different mediums of photography, industrial materials and ready-made objects, I aim to create a dialogue through these materials. I am interested in how material informs our memory and understanding of objects. Through the extraction of these elements I aim to reformulate and toy with their inherent function. Imagery is used to redirect the relationship of these materialities to suggest a new proposition. My practice is informed by everyday domestic and industrial settings, I like to alter the context of the object and what it means to situate it in a different environment. I aim to create tensions and question these altered perspectives.

Costa Virtanen, Paradisiac, c-type print, 2022.
Costa Virtanen, Paradisiac, steel, expanded mesh, c-type print on dibond, 2022. Documentation by SLACK.
Costa Virtanen, Paradisiac, steel, expanded mesh, c-type print on dibond, 2022.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.