Jacob Sturgeon

Honours

Through my practice, I investigate the boundaries of physical, social and virtual systems. I attempt to map the parasitic nature of these systems from the point-of-view (POV) of the atomised subject/object. Oscillation between the peripheries of these systems creates a blurring between matter and experience, destabilising the individual into a state of constant iteration. This calls for a way of perceiving that can deal with multiplicities; an eye that sees through mosaics. My work pushes against anthropocentric perspectives into a speculative realm where subjects (humans) and objects (non-humans) are viewed as relational assemblages.

Jacob Sturgeon, Clipping, Raspberry Pi, LCD screen and Aramid honeycomb core, 2022.
Jacob Sturgeon, Clipping, 25min, 2022.
Jacob Sturgeon, No Room For (m), fibreglass and pigments, 2022.
Jacob Sturgeon, No room for (m), fibreglass and pigments, 2022.
Jacob Sturgeon, Untitled Megastructure 1, vinyl, perspex, and stainless steel table, 2022.
Jacob Sturgeon, Extraction, harvested Northern Prairie grass, stand oil, bamboo monitor stands, transducer, 2022.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.