Veronica Charmont

Honours

I encounter images through walking, exploring and stumbling, with the camera existing as my second eye. Welcoming chance and coincidence, I work with 16mm film and digital video to create experimental moving images that interlace cinema vérité, narrative and documentary approaches.

By documenting the intricate nature of memory, time and history, my films montage natural and built environments to explore how inanimate beings such as buildings are personified. These entities greatly influence how people navigate the everyday, and I am interested in the coexistence that arises between human and architectural life.

Veronica Charmont, Juliette (still), 16mm film transferred to digital, 2022.
Veronica Charmont, Nicholas (still), digital video, 2022.
Veronica Charmont, digital projection of Juliette , 16mm transferred to film, 2022.
Veronica Charmont, digital projection of Nicholas , digital video, 2022.
Veronica Charmont, Juliette, 16mm film transferred to digital, 11 minutes and 46 seconds, 2022. Voice by Iris Simpson, Sophia Derkenne, Frazer Shepherdson and Molly Menchen.
Veronica Charmont, Nicholas, (preview snippet of 7:54 minutes), digital video, 50 minutes, 2022.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.