Mardi Denham-Roberts

Honours

I acknowledge the Wurundjeri, Boon Wurrung, Taungurung and Barkindji peoples as the original and rightful custodians who never ceded sovereignty over the lands and waters where this project was developed. I pay my respects to elders past and present. Land back now.

Growing up amidst the colonial infrastructure of Narrm (Melbourne), I can’t remember having any awareness of where the water that sustained me had come from; where it became saturated enough to flow as a stream, what it was suffused in before that, what creatures it may have met along the way, what matter it carried with it or where it was left behind. These, perhaps, are the repercussions of the material conditions of plumbing infrastructure – removing water from its entangled reality and delivering it to us as an anonymous substance. The water that raised me was supplied through chrome plated steel taps which didn’t encourage me to ask anything more about this fluid’s story. In pipelines and pumps, the reach of water’s inherent entanglement is restricted and constrained. A material dislocation from watery liveliness is perpetuated.

How can we, as bodies of water who now largely rely on these extractive systems, seep towards more intimate and embodied understandings with water? How can we speculatively map water systems that foreground webs of relation and better acknowledge a leaky, intangible, suffusive reality?

a small bisque-fired clay vessel leaks water that is fed into it thorugh clear pvc tubing.
Mardi Denham-Roberts, untitled, bisque-fired clay, water, pvc tubing, plumbing infrastructure, 2022.
Mardi Denham-Roberts, untitled, graphite on paper (56 x 76 cm), bisque-fired clay, pvc tubing, plumbing infrastructure, 2022. Documentation by Camille Perry.
A small room with brick floor and two shiny metal sinks is filled with small clay vessels and a large steel spinning wheel structure. There are small black and clear tubes creating a system that moves water between the objects, leaking and being absorbed by the clay throughout the space.
Mardi Denham-Roberts, untitled, graphite and colour pencil on paper, clay found adjacent to waters I swim, sandstone, irrigation and plumbing fittings, stoneware clay, Barka river silt, water from forested catchments upstream the Birrarung, latex, found materials, 2022. Documentation by Kenneth Suico.
a small pulley with a crank handle sits on a pink brick floor, illuminated by sharp sunlight.
Mardi Denham-Roberts, untitled, found materials, 2022. Documentation by Camille Perry.
a large piece of white paper hangs on a black architectural metal grate. The paper has delicate graphite drawings on three sections of the page.
Mardi Denham-Roberts, untitled, graphite on paper, 56cm x 76 cm, 2022. Documentation by Camille Perry.
a small bisque-fired clay vessel leaks water that is fed into it thorugh clear pvc tubing. It sits amidst stainless steel plumbing.
Mardi Denham-Roberts, untitled, bisque-fired clay, water, pvc tubing, plumbing infrastructure, 2022. Documentation by Camille Perry.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.