VCA ART 2022

David Bennie

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

In my practice I explore timber and the connotations of this material in contemporary society. My works aim to celebrate and encourage a tactile relationship with timber and to reimagine the meaning or purpose it holds for my audience. My work questions the changing social value of wood, a material we once relied upon to hold the roofs over our heads, but which is now valued more for its aesthetics than its utility. I also examine the validity of the artist when capitalising on these natural aesthetics and materials. Through tactile connection, I encourage the viewer to consider their personal association with timber and to observe its natural beauty.  

David Bennie, The Forest, pine, okoume, tea tree, linseed oil, carnauba wax, 2022.
David Bennie, VCA Art Grad Show install, 2022. Documentation by SLACK.
David Bennie, Handbags, tea tree, leather, relief ink, 2022.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content