VCA ART 2022

Lila Hagai

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

My practice is an exploration of Feminine Rage and the recreation of rage through traditional themes found in horror media (the abject/gore). These tropes are used to attack those who stay ignorant to the realities of bias within Western society, through my experiences and perceptions as a Pasifika woman.

I exist as both artist and muse, exploiter and the exploited in order to confront the audience’s position as voyeur and purveyor of suffering. Historically, and still today, the muse indicates the gendered female serving as inspiration to the male creative, losing her personhood in the process. Ultimately, I aim to dissect and re-present the true agency of the muse through resentment and violence.

Lila Hagai, Autopsy of the Monstrous Other, acrylic paint on canvas drop sheets, 2022. Documentation by Lucy Foster.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.

This website may contain sensitive or triggering content