Maddy Sloane

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

Drapery features repeatedly throughout the history of art, but in my work it is not secondary to the subject, or ornamental; fabric is the subject itself. I study the bed in detail, interpreting the folds of pillows and bedsheets as an ever-shifting landscape. As the place we start and end each day, the bed is host to a huge array of human activities, and I use the physical context of this intimate site as a starting point from which to examine or explore emotional landscapes. Elements of pattern and repetition recur in my work, betraying a preoccupation with cycles and the way the passage of time is experienced. 

Madeleine Sloane, installation view: left: Spiral bed, ink on canvas, right: Heads, ink on canvas, 2022. Documentation by Lucy Foster
Madeleine Sloane, Heads, ink on canvas, 2022.

Photo by James Farrar
Madeleine Sloane, Spiral bed, ink on canvas, 2022.

Photo by James Farrar
Madeleine Sloane, Extend, graphite on paper, 2022.

Photo by Lucy Foster

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.