MJ Kim

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing & Printmaking)

My practice is influenced by the idea that by looking at society's discarded objects, one is best able to learn about the world around us. As such, my work utilises mediums such as found wood and objects, acrylic, photography, collage, and wheat-pasting to deconstruct and reconstruct my own psycho-geographic experiences within Melbourne's subcultural scene and sexual relationships, as well as pay homage to the 'punk' ethos. It is this essence of ‘rip it up and start again’ that best reflects both my approach to making and my subject matter.

Left: MJ Kim, Two Months of Female Tragedy, Mixed media (acrylic, clay, wire, medication and rubbish from artist's personal life) on found wood, 128cm x 128cm, 2021. Photograph courtesy of Kenneth Suico.

Right: MJ Kim, This is what I wish I could do with the memories of you - rip them up and turn them into something beautiful, Mixed media (acrylic, vintage paper, canvas fabric, scrap fabric, polaroid, pearl beading, wire, ink) on found wood, 80.1cm x 80.6cm, 2022. Photograph courtesy of Kenneth Suico.
MJ Kim, Two Months of Female Tragedy, acrylic, clay, wire, medication and rubbish from artist's personal life on found wood, 128 x 128 cm, 2021. Documentation by Kenneth Suico.
MJ Kim, This Artwork Was Made to Fit a Diversity Quota, oil-based monoprint, acrylic and charcoal on paper, 75 x 75 cm, 2020.
MJ Kim, Artist, oil-based monoprint, acrylic, collage on paper, 75 x 75 cm, 2020.
MJ Kim, The well rounded man/the woman who bends over backwards, house paint, letraset, collage, wheatpaste on canvas and found wood, dimensions variable, 2022.
MJ Kim, An Unoriginal Artwork (Not for Nick Cave), acrylic on wood and a series of 16 wheat-pasted inkject photographs, dimensions variable, 2022.
MJ Kim, (Trains for/of Thought), acrylic and house paint, wheat-pasted found images, stickers, coloured paper, dimensions variable, 2022.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.