Lachlan Marley

Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting)

The objects I make have openings. You can see into them, or through them, to other surfaces or empty space. This happens through processes of tearing, burning or folding. Using fire, industrial binders and glues, aluminium and unprimed canvas, I aim to distil in the final product a void; a concept that draws much of my interest. Usually, the materials in these works come together as objects like walls, boxes and gyprock, through industrial processes that obscure them. The methods I use differ with each material but are driven by an interest in their own unique surface, texture, and language. I hope to make objects that diverge from the traditional or prescribed outcomes of these materials, offering an alternate product. One that results in space and that is both obscured and unobscured in stimulating ways.

Lachlan Marley, VCA Art Grad Show install 2022. Documentation by SLACK.

We acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campus is situated, the people of the Boon Wurrung and Woi Wurrung, who have created art, made music and told their stories here for thousands of generations. We also acknowledge and extend our respect to the Traditional Owners of all lands on which our work is viewed, shared and enjoyed, and to all Elders, past, present and emerging.